Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Meeting the Grandson

I got to meet my grandson, Conall Broderick, in late February, 2007. It had been a long time since I had held a baby, so (as you can see) I am a little nervous.

The most amazing part of the trip was watching my daughter and her husband as they cared for their son. I admit to grave doubts about them having a child: they were awfully young themselves, and not very settled in careers or even their marriage. But they sure seemed to take to it well. I was amazed at how casually my daughter dealt with the responsibility. Not casual as in lacksidasical, but casual as in relaxed and competent.

So another life starts. I know that he will hit all of the milestones and some will be joyful and some will be trying (lost innocence is still hard to take). I am trying not to invest too much in my hopes, and make room for his dreams as they form. I am curious as to what he will teach me. I can hardly wait!

Welcome to the funhouse, Conall. It is quite a ride.

No comments: